Sunday, August 26, 2007

Requiem for Bat Boy or Us?


The August 27th issue of TIME magazine included an essay, Requiem for Bat Boy: Why the world's greatest fake newspaper is disappearing by Joel Stein, which caught my attention. He attributed the demise of the Weekly World News with the maturing of our society. He states, "It is actually a sign of progress for a society to go from inventing gods and monsters to seeking catharsis in the real life of Paris Hilton." I wonder about that. I think I would see more sanity in a society that believes in the plausibility of Bat Boy, UFOs, and the Loch Ness monster over one that finds "catharsis" in the drunk driving antics of the rich young ladies who put real life, hard working people in harms way. Don't get me wrong; I won't miss Weekly World News and never believed in Bat Boy (looking at the photo always left me with a strange feeling best described in the words of Scooby Doo..."Er???" However, their stories were more entertaining than the misdeeds of Paris and friends which are just plain scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment