Sunday, March 01, 2009

Thes Books Were Made for Walking




On the 3rd Wednesday of every month, Strumpet's Life hosts this meme which asks us to think about a topic that has to do with books and travel. Here's the topic for this month:

Is there a place that you have always dreamed of visiting specifically because of a book you read? It can be any kind of book: fiction, non-fiction, travelogue, you name it. If you have been to the place, did it live up to your expectations? If you haven't been, do you think you'll ever make it there?


This one was a little difficult for me. The locale was easy because I have longed to go to India for a little over nine years. I wasn't too sure I could attribute it to reading. Then I gave it more thought and realized it had everything to do with reading! My desire to visit India began during my first year teaching sixth grade ancient world history. The story of the Taj Mahal, the origins of Hinduism and Buddhism, and the beauty of the subcontinent drew me in. I guess you could say Houghtin Mifflin's textbook Message of Ancient Days and TCI's History Alive! unit on India sparked my interest in India.

1 comment:

  1. I've read one book which was about the building of the Taj Mahal which was excellent. If there was a particular book that made me want to go to India it is In the Shadow of the Moon by MM Kaye or The Far Pavillions by the same author.

    ReplyDelete