Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Themed Book Challenge




Title: Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia
Author Elizabeth Gilbert
Genre: Biography
Year Published: 2006

This covers some of the same themes that are covered in Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach with the additional theme of spirituality and depression. The author finds different parts of herself in India, Italy, and Indonesia. Having read both of them

This was my second reading of this book (I initially read it last spring), and it was unusually difficult to get through. I think I had taken what I could from it during the first reading, or perhaps I'm just in a different place now.


"Going into that meditation cave every day is supposed to be this time of divine communion, but I've been walking in there lately flinching they my dog used to flinch when she walked into the vet's office..." (Gilbert, p. 141)


We have all had times when we have approach our spirituality from a different angle in order to make a connection. Gilbert takes you with her as she struggles with her spirituality. In my opinion, the spiritual theme (Hindu),which ties this book together, gives balance to Gilbert's personal growth. Body, soul, and spirit, she is transparent. She has problems and difficulties that happen to many of us, and she grows.

Rating: First Reading 9/10
This Reading 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment