Sunday, October 14, 2007

Unpretentious Assemblage




I recently attended a church's tenth anniversary celebration. I typically shy away from these things because they can be more than a bit pretentious; however, I am good friends with the pastors, so I ventured forth on a Friday night, after a long work week.

It turned out better than I cynically thought it would. There was only one hat in the whole building and fewer sequins than I usually see at such events. There was one thing that was just as I expected it would be. "The Table", that special table reserved for pastors, was just as socially elevated as ever.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for giving honor to others, but when friends cannot approach you to say hello, and you have make a restroom trip to get up from the table and say hello to a friend you haven't seen in years, something is wrong.

I am so glad I can talk to God at any time. I don't have to wait until He passes enroute elsewhere. Now there's something to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment