Saturday, September 08, 2007

Memory Lane


Yesterday, I was listening to a song, Butterfly, by Corinne Bailey Rae. The song lyrics begin, "In my mother's house there's a photograph". These words reminded me of a song by Minnie Riperton, Memory Lane, which contains the words, "Stumbled on a photograph. Kinda made me laugh. It took me way back. Back down memory lane". The year that album came out (I was 13), it was the thing I wanted most for Christmas, and my little brother (who was 10 at the time) saved and bargained to make sure I got it. On his allowance it wasn't cheap.

Today, I took the time to call him, remind him of that Christmas, and thank him for being such a great brother. Amazingly, that is a memory that stands out for him too. Before I could name the song, he named it (and he wasn't that crazy about the album or the artist).

Even though we don't talk as much as we perhaps should or as much as my mother would like, we love each other. The love between siblings is something to be treasured. It is not the kind of treasure that you hide away. It should be dusted and shown off on the mantle or some other place where others can see it.

FYI: It took me all afternoon to get this put together because I stopped to find and buy another copy of the Minnie Riperton LP. Mine was lost during a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment